Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Reading in the Mornings


I love to read, although I didn’t discover this until I was in college and actually took the time to read a book just because.  I was always reading text books, reports or studies.  For the most part – BORING!

My husband does not share my love of reading – though he does enjoy me reading to him.  So…in the mornings before he goes to work: we cuddle up on the couch with a blanket in front of a fire, he sips his coffee and we embark on a journey together.



I absolutely love this time with him: after all, quality time is one of my love languages. 

We just finished reading a book by Max Lucado called Facing Your Giants.  He asked me to buy it after someone read a chapter from it at a men’s group. 





From the back cover:

You know your Goliath.  You recognize his walk.  The thunder of his voice.

He taunts you with the bills you can’t pay, people you can’t please, habits you can’t break, failures you can’t forget, and a future you can’t face.  But just like David, you can face your giant, even if you aren’t the strongest, the smartest, the best equipped, or the holiest.

David. You could read his story and wonder what God saw in him.  His life has little to offer the unstained, straight-A saint.  He fell as often as he stood, stumbled as often as he conquered.  But for those who know the sound of Goliath, David gives a reminder:
Focus on giants – you stumble.
Focus on God, your giants stumble.

If you’re ready to face your giants, let David’s story inspire you.  The same God who helped him will help you.

This book really got us to think and put some things into perspective. And I am sure it is one that we will pick up again one day. J

No comments:

Post a Comment